Monday, May 14, 2012

Kid Melo Company Exclusive Interview: Xyz talks music, clothes, growing up in Sicily, food, reading the dictionary, and more!

KMC: "How do you contribute to the Madison rap scene?" 


X: "Even though I'm not originally from here and don't 'rep my city' I still support dope emcee's from Madtown. If you dope you got my respect and support! I make beats, rap, and record my own stuff. At times I definitely promote my crew's music and other rappers I'm cool with." 


KMC: "Who are your idols and influences in rap? Who are your mentors?"  


X: "Pretty much all my idols are my influences. Az, Big L, Nas, and Elzhi inspire me a lot and I really look up to them. And I guess you can say my crew are my mentors, goes from Commited, Ted Park, M-Free, Mi-T Flow. We are all each others' mentors you could say." *Laughs* 


KMC: "Who are your favorite producers and what are your influences outside of rap?"    


X: "Dj Hi-Tek, 88 Keys, Lord Finesse, Dr. Dre, and Stoupe. And I listen to a lot of soul since I also make beats and look for samples. But just about anything that sounds cool and has it's own flavor to it, bump it!" 


KMC: "Like what?" 


X: "Roy Ayers! That man's songs got indescribable chill vibes!" 


KMC: "What brand name clothes do you usually wear and what books and TV shows do you read/watch?" 


X: *Laughs* "I tend to wear a lot of Zoo York shirts, but also Nike. Even though I don't like reading, I would have to say my favorite book is the dictionary... I'm weird as fuck I know. And as for favorite TV shows-- Jackass, Family Guy, the Cleveland Show, Chappelle Show and Spongebob!"   


KMC: "What about food?" 


X: "Of course pizza boy, all that Italian shit. Ramen noodles... and that's it." 


KMC: "Okay. I have a ton of Italy questions." 


X: "Go ahead man I love interviews." 


KMC: "How old were you when you moved to Madison and what are your most vivid memories of Sicily?" 


X: "Man, I moved to Madison when I was about 11. Barely knew english *laughs* hard to imagine, but yeah the most vivid memories... my family and being a dumb ass kid getting in trouble with my friends. Exploring abandoned houses." 


KMC: "What was your first experience with music? How do you think 11 years in Italy influenced your music?" 


X: "Music has been a part of my life ever since I can remember. I first learned the basics of playing the piano thanks to my uncle when I was about six and gradually mastered playing it by ear. Then my music just took off from there. I feel like where I'm from has really shaped my character in general. And the environment I was brought up in made me an aware individual but also the struggle puts that real touch to my music." 


Look out for Xyz's mixtape "White Rappers Suck," a project we will be anticipating via blog and hopefully dropping some singles! In the meantime, big ups to Xyz for the third Kid Melo Company Exclusive Interview. 


-KMC   


1 comment: